*We are currently not accepting new patients for evaluations due to high demand. Please check our website periodically to get an update on our waitlist status.
We provide comprehensive diagnostic evaluations and treatment plans from infancy to young adulthood. All of our clinicians specialize in evaluating and caring for individuals with autism spectrum disorders and are skilled in distinguishing ASD from other conditions.
A diagnostic evaluation can be initiated by parents, yourself, or through a referral from a physician or other community-based practitioner. A team of clinicians will work with you and your family to design an individualized diagnostic evaluation that will likely include:
- Intake appointment: Our clinical social worker meets with you to gather background information to determine if an assessment is needed and to inform the assessment plan.
- Testing Appointments: Appointments are led by a psychologist and additional clinical team members as needed. Evaluations are scheduled on 2-3 separate mornings (for approximately 3-4 hours each visit) to gather the following information:
- Detailed developmental, medical, and family history from parents or caregivers
- Developmental or cognitive testing to assess thinking, learning and problem solving skills
- Reciprocal social communication evaluation through direct assessment
- *Speech and language assessment as needed
- *Psychiatry assessment as needed
- Feedback Appointment: A feedback session is held after the testing appointments. At this meeting, our team will discuss with you our diagnostic impressions and treatment recommendations.
- Follow-up Appointment: Our clinical social worker will meet with you again to follow-up on your assessment, answer any questions you have regarding our team’s recommendations or any other issues/concerns, and help you connect with appropriate services at UCSF or in the community.